From The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, September 14th, 2010:
Act Now – Urge Congress to Recognize Blood Cancer Awareness Month
Your help is needed to raise awareness for blood cancers! The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is asking every advocate to write or call their U.S. Representative and urge them to co-sponsor a Congressional resolution (H.RES. 1433) designating September 2010 as Blood Cancer Awareness Month.
Congress has returned from recess and the sponsors of the resolution are making a strong push with their colleagues to co-sponsor the resolution. We need everyone whose life has been affected by blood cancers to join them and urge Congress to recognize Blood Cancer Awareness Month!
We need 100 co-sponsors for the resolution to gain consideration by the House. We currently have 59 co-sponsors, and your representative is NOT yet one of them! Please call the Congressional switchboard at (202) 225-3121, ask to speak to your representative’s office, and ask that they become a co-sponsor of House Resolution 1433, naming September 2010 Blood Cancer Awareness Month, or visit LLS’s Legislative Action Center to send them an email.
Remember that every phone call and letter counts, so be sure to send this message on to your friends, loved ones and other members of the blood cancer community. If you need help finding out who your representative is, please visit LLS’s Legislator Search tool here.
If you choose to call your member’s office, here are a few tips and talking points:
1) Ask to speak with a staff member or leave a message for your member of Congress.
2) Introduce yourself as a constituent, explain what the blood cancers are, and briefly tell your/ your loved one’s story about living with the disease.
3) Explain that Representatives Walter Jones and Betsy Markey have introduced House Resolution 1433, which would designate September of 2010 as Blood Cancer Awareness Month.
4) Ask them to contact Representative Jones’ or Markey’s office and become a co-sponsor of House Resolution 1433.
5) Thank them for their time and ask them to advise you of the action they take in response to your request (leave your contact information).
This is important! I just e-mailed my Representatives using the convenient link above. It took me less than two minutes! Please take a few minutes to do the same!
Feel good and keep smiling! Pat